Every living person is well and truly aware of Ayurveda in this modern world. Most of you believe it to be some sort of medicine that was started in India and has been in use for several centuries. However, there is more to it than merely being some sort of medicine. Here we shall discuss the advantages and disadvantages of Ayurvedic medicine.
Ayurvedic is more of a cult that initiates from the Vedic culture in India. It is an age-old art of natural healing that was copied and taken back by various foreign invaders. Thankfully, Ayurveda is gaining acceptance in this modern era both within and outside the country of its origin.
What Do You Mean By Ayurveda?
When you talk about Ayurveda, you refer to a 5000-year old art of healing various diseases. This art of treating different forms of diseases has its origin in India.
Ayurveda is a Sanskrit term that means the science or knowledge of life. If you break the word into two parts:
- “Ayur” means Life
- “Veda” means the science of knowledge
The principles of this age-old wisdom tell you that the entire life is a web that is intricately interwoven. The art and science of Ayurveda have a unique emphasis on total wellness. It works towards harmonizing your internal and external worlds.
Your five natural senses serve as the primary portals between both the internal and external realms. This is similar to the five great elements that form the basis of creation:
Ayurveda groups these five different elements into three forms of energy and functional principles. These elements are present in every person and everything around you. These principles are known by their Sanskrit names as:
What Do You Mean By Vata, Pitta, And Kapha?
Most of you may have heard about Vata, Pitta, and Kapha in relation to Ayurveda. However, not many of you may know what these terms actually mean.
- Vata: This is the subtle energy that is related to movement. It is composed of air and space. Vata rules your blinking, breathing, tissue, and muscle movements. It also controls the pulsation of your heart and every movement in the cell membranes of your body. When your body is in balance, Vata helps to promote flexibility and creativity. When out of balance, it produces anxiety and fear.
- Pitta: This expresses the metabolic system of your body. Pitta is composed of water and fire and it rules your absorption, digestion, nutrition, body temperature, assimilation, and metabolism. When your body is in balance, pitta helps to promote intelligence and understanding. Whereas, when out of balance, it arouses jealousy, anger, and hatred.
- Kapha: This is the energy that forms the structure of your entire body. It includes your muscles, bones, and tendons. Kapha also acts as the binding agent that holds your cells together formed from water and earth. Kapha supplies water to your systems and bodily parts. It helps to lubricate your joints, moisturize your skin, and maintain your natural immunity. When your body is in balance, Kapha is expressed as calmness, love, and forgiveness. When out of balance, it gives rise to greed, envy, and attachment.
Interesting Facts about Ayurveda
There is more to Ayurveda than just healing properties. It makes sure that you lead a healthy lifestyle. Ayurveda is a far more superior form of medicine that offers treatments for various types of ailments. The cure to these diseases is not found in other forms of medicine.
Here are some interesting facts about Ayurveda that you should know before you decide to go for the treatment.
Unlike popular beliefs, Ayurveda is not just about medicinal herbs. It is an art that involves the use of honey, butter, milk, rock salts, and ghee. These are the primary components in the healing process.
There are different specialties of Ayurveda. These include:
- Shalya-chikitsa or surgery
- Kaayachikitsa or internal medicine
- Bhutavidya or psychiatry
- Shalakya or disease situated above the shoulder
- Kaumarabhrutyam or pediatrics
- Rasayanam or rejuvenation
- Agadatantram or toxicology
Ayurveda has an extreme effect on your body and provides long-term relief. It is because this practice believes the human body comprises of 5 different elements. These include air, water, fire, ether, and earth. Each element plays a crucial role in the way your entire body functions.
Ayurveda cures the primary cause of a health problem rather than fighting against the symptoms. This means that a doctor, who practices Ayurveda, will concentrate on the root cause of a problem.
Benefits of Ayurveda
Although some of you may not believe, Ayurvedic medicines do have several benefits for your health. Some of these health benefits are discussed below for your knowledge.
According to the Vedic knowledge, Ayurveda and Yoga are interlinked to each other. It will help if you understand the combined roles of Yoga and Ayurveda together.
Vedic knowledge was made to portray the inner functioning of the universe. This is in relation to your consciousness. When it comes to stress, there are several Ayurvedic techniques that help to release stress, like:
- Meditation: It helps you to remain in a relaxed condition that helps to reduce your stress hormones.
- Green Tea: This popular drink has stress-relieving properties, such as L-theanine that assist you to remain calm and reduce anxiety.
- Dinacharya: It refers to your habit of waking up early before sunrise. This practice helps your mind stay at peace.
Helps You Shed Excess Body Weight
Ayurveda can help you shed excess body weight without affecting your mental and physical stability. An experienced Ayurvedic doctor will prescribe a balanced and healthy diet plan for you.
This will help you get back in shape. This diet plan can help you with several advantages:
- Getting rid of excess fat from your tissues
- Detoxify the body
- Get rid of body odor
- Skin toning and purification
- Reduce cholesterol
- Regulate blood circulation
Ayurveda has the potential of balancing your hormones. This results in a healthy menstrual cycle and reduces the possibility of any pregnancy-related complexities.
When it comes to regulating your menstrual cycle, Ayurvedic treatment involves getting sufficient rest, detoxification of the body, regular exercises, and starting the day with a full body massage or Abhyanga.
Physical inflammation is caused by lack of sleep and poor diet. Ayurveda has various herbal treatments that can control excessive inflammation in your body.
Some herbs used in this process include ashwagandha, turmeric, ginger, and Boswellia. These work together in the process of reducing inflammation.
Boswellia is good for those of you who suffer from acute arthritis, back pain, and bowel disease. Turmeric is a powerful antioxidant that can effectively reduce inflammation.
Ashwagandha helps in the process of rejuvenation. This, in turn, helps to strengthen your mind that gives rise to healthy thinking.
Gets Rid Of Toxins from Your Body
Ayurveda has the capabilities of cleansing your soul, mind, and body. Panchakarma, a vital Ayurvedic treatment, is used in the process of getting rid of toxins from your body.
These toxins interfere with the normal functioning of the body. A full body massage is also helpful if you wish to rejuvenate your entire body and remain in optimum functioning condition.
Reduce the Possibilities of Falling Sick
If you follow a healthy diet, include a breathing exercise in your daily routine, and sunbathe regularly, it will help you stay healthy. This will automatically reduce the possibility of you falling sick all the time.
Ayurveda follows the concept of prevention, which is the first and more crucial step. Ayurveda follows two primary goals:
- Look for the root cause of a disease
- Find a natural way to cure the disease
Ayurvedic treatment can help reduce your chances of falling ill since it concentrates on preventive measures. It does not deal with curing a disease.
Disadvantages of Ayurvedic Medicine
Just like a coin has two sides, so does Ayurveda. One of the biggest disadvantages of Ayurvedic medicine is the ready availability of fake medicines.
People have these fake and impure medicines that do not live up to their expectations. As a result of this, they lose their faith in Ayurveda thinking that it is just a waste of time and effort.
It is the real Ayurvedic medicine that gives you positive results.
Deep Ayurveda and Ayurvedic Treatment
At Deep Ayurveda, we produce genuine and effective Ayurvedic medicines that can give you relief from various diseases. We choose nothing but 100% natural ingredients and herbs to manufacture our medicines.
We have Ayurvedic products that deal with various types of health issues. We also have different treatment packs that work together towards a common treatment goal.