Leucorrhoea Treatment in Ayurveda – Introduction: Leucorrhoea is described as a whitish-yellow discharge from the vagina without any underlying medical concern. Normal vaginal fluid varies in color, consistency, amount, and also depends upon the stages of a woman’s menstrual cycle.
Somehow, vaginal discharge is a neglected problem in Indian women, especially those who are living in rural areas. It was noticed that the incidence of reproductive tract infections ranges between 50-70%. Leucorrhoea is odorless and colorless, but if secretion is yellow, or green along with itchiness, redness, swelling having a strong foul smell, then it indicates the condition of Reproductive tract infection (RTI).
Causes of Leucorrhoea:
Normally, it is experienced by all the women in the stage of puberty, pregnancy, etc. If the discharge changes in its appearance, color, odor, etc., it may occur due to any infection. Some common causes are:
- Hormonal changes
- Bacterial vaginitis
- Chemical irritation, or allergy
- Forgotten pessary
- Psychological factors
- Vaginal atrophy
- Early/Young age of Pregnancy
- The spread of infections from Urinary Tract
- Inflammation of Uterus.
- Contaminated urine, or feces producing secondary vaginitis
- Chronic diseases like PID (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease), Gonorrhea, Gout, Typhoid, DM, Mental Anxiety, Displacement of Uterus, Anemia, etc.
Types of Leucorrhoea:
There are two types of leucorrhoea named as:
- Physiological Leucorrhoea
- Inflammatory Leucorrhoea.
- Physiological Leucorrhoea: This is a very common type mainly experienced by every woman, and caused by the Natural Defense Mechanism of Vagina to maintain its chemical balance and preserve the flexibility of the vaginal tissue. This type is called physiological because vaginal discharge occurs when estrogens levels are increased, and discharge is thin, odorless, clear, mucus-like, and not subsequently increased in the quantity. Hence, it is considered a normal stage.
- Inflammatory Leucorrhoea: It happens when there is an infection, or due to Vaginal Swelling or Congestion inside the Vaginal Mucous, the affected area very often gives out yellow-colored discharged with the foul smell, which clearly indicates infection state. It also includes vaginal discharge caused by the Sexually Transmitted Disease and due to postpartum discharge after delivery.
Symptoms of Leucorrhoea:
Usually, in physiological leucorrhoea, there are neglected symptoms, a woman experience only thin, transparent, white discharge. But in the infected cases, the thickness, amount, and color are varied. In that case, it may be accompanied by other symptoms such as:
- Strong foul smell
- Dark circles around the eyes
- Mild swelling around the vagina
- Discharge may vary in thick white, greenish, or yellow color
- Burning urination
- Lumbar pain
- Mood swings and irritation
- Excess bleeding after sexual intercourse
- Itchiness in the genital area.
Risk Factors of Leucorrhoea:
Risk of having leucorrhoea depends on various factors like age of the woman, number of pregnancies, family background, use of contraceptives, method of labor, etc. The risk of leucorrhoea increased in some of the following conditions –
- Weak immunity
- Lack of nutrition
- Past untreated infections
- HIV infection
- Multiple sexual partners
- Unprotected sexual contact.
Ayurvedic View on Leucorrhoea:
In Ayurvedic terms, it is known as “Shweta Pradara” and similar conditions have been mentioned in’ Kaphaja yoni roga ‘and ‘Upapluta yoni roga’ (types of genital tract diseases). Shweta pradra arises when rakta dhatu, vata dosha, and kapha dosha gets vitiated by wrong habits of a lifestyle and diet.
Causes According to the Ayurveda:
Some common food and lifestyle disorders will aggravate the dosha and causes shweta pradara. According to Ayurveda, the most common causes are:
- Incompatible food (virudh ahara)
- Excess alcohol intake (madhya pana)
- Repeated food intake causing indigestion (adhyashana)
- Undigested food (ajeerna)
- Weight lifting (bharavahana)
- Any local injury (abhighata)
- Sedentary lifestyle (diva shayan)
- Unhygienic activities, infection (asuchi)
- Riding the vehicles (yana)
- Long walk (adhwa)
- Excess stress (shoka)
- Repeated abortions
Symptoms According to the Ayurveda:
A woman can experience some following symptoms such as:
- Body ache
- Loss of concentration
- Mild swelling
- Redness and discomfort.
Types According to the Ayurveda:
- Vataja pradara : Due to aggravation of vata dosha
- Pittaja pradara : Due to aggravation of pitta dosha
- Kaphaja pradara: It occurs due to aggravation of kapha dosha.
- Sannipataja pradara: This occurs due to the imbalance of all the three Doshas.
Pathogenesis According to Ayurveda:
In Ayurvedic texts, Shweta pradara is described as a Kaphaj disorder of female genital organ because Kapha dosha is the main factor for any discharge in the body.
By the excess intake of Kaphakara ahara and vihara along with vata aggravated factors, causes an imbalance of the vata and kapha dosha, the vitiated kapha dosha aggravates in the apana vata (a subtype of vata dosha which is responsible for the proper elimination of waste, sexual function, childbirth, and menstrual cycles). This further disturbed the functioning of rasa dhatvagni (nutrient plasma) that is present in the vaginal tract leading to painless white discharge.
Leucorrhoea Treatment in Ayurveda & Home Remedies:
Leucorrhoea Treatment in Ayurveda believes that herbal remedies fulfill the richness of herbs in an unadulterated, natural form. Moreover, different combinations of natural and pure herbs enhance immunity as well as provide endurance, strength, and will. Some natural home remedies for leucorrhoea (Leucorrhoea Treatment in Ayurveda) are given below:
Pomegranate has properties which help to overcome and treat vaginal infections. The leaves of pomegranate are very beneficial to treat leucorrhoea and it can be easily used as a home remedy.
How to use: A female can take a fresh juice of pomegranate daily for one month, as it is very helpful for the whole body and also reduces the associated symptoms of leucorrhoea.
Or make a simple and effective home remedy, Crush 20-30 fresh pomegranate leaves and mix it with a fine paste of black pepper. Place this mixture in half a glass of water, strain the mixture and drink it twice daily until you see a positive response in your health.
Another way to use pomegranate leaves in a powder form, make a fine powder of the rind of pomegranate and add ½ to one tablespoon of powder in 3-4 cups of water and use this remedy as a vaginal spray.
Banana: Bananas acts as an effective home remedy to treat leucorrhoea naturally. It acts as a disinfection and helps to exclude the harmful microorganism from a vagina.
How to use: One can consume one to two overripe bananas daily.
Fenugreek Seeds: Fenugreek seeds are loaded with the antioxidant and immunity booster properties. In the condition of leucorrhea, these help to balance the pH level and microflora in a vagina.
How to use: Take two-three teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in 3-4 cups of water and boil it for 25-30 minutes. Strain and let it cool. Use this herbal water as a vaginal wash many times daily.
Amla: Amla is a very good source of vitamin C, and helps to boost up the immune system naturally. Moreover, Amla fruit is loaded with the antimicrobial properties that help to ward off vaginal infections. It is the best Leucorrhoea Treatment in Ayurveda.
How to use: You can make a thick paste by mixing one-two teaspoons of Indian gooseberry powder with honey. Consume this herbal remedy once daily.
Or, you can boil one teaspoon of dried Indian gooseberry root powder in one cup of water until it reduced to half and then add a little sugar or honey as per taste. Consume the remedy on an empty stomach every morning.
Figs: To manage the leucorrhea naturally, the consumption of figs be very good. Figs work as a laxative that helps to eliminate the toxins and waste materials from the body. This remedy will work in an amazing way to resolve the problem of excess white vaginal discharge.
How to use: You have to soak 5-6 figs overnight in one cup of water and take this remedy early in the morning.
Or, you can grind the equal quantities of the bark of the fig tree and banyan tree to make a fine powder. Add one tablespoon of this powder in two-three cups of water and use this solution as a vaginal wash.
Coriander: Coriander herb is widely used in the kitchen and has loaded with a lot of medicinal properties. Regular use of the herb can help to overcome the symptoms of leucorrhoea.
How to use: Soak some coriander seeds in water overnight and drink the remedy early in the morning on an empty stomach.
Neem: Neem is widely used for the treatment of leucorrhea. It acts as an anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory that reduces the symptoms naturally.
How to use: Drink the milk of cow regularly adding a little amount of neem oil in the evening can cure the problem of leucorrhea.
- Rice starch: A woman can also take warm chawal ka maand (Rice Starch) half to one cup two times in a day. For better results, a woman can take this for about three months.
Diet and Lifestyle Modifications (Leucorrhoea Treatment in Ayurveda):
A woman should adopt some precautions to get rid of female reproductive problems.
- Increase the intake of healthy fresh vegetables, and fruits especially bananas, cranberries, oranges, lemons, black plums, okra, leafy greens, onions, brown rice, yogurt, as well as healthy herbs and spices such as ginger, garlic, fenugreek, and coriander.
- Some foods can aggravate the doshas that should be eliminated from healthy leucorrhoea recipes such as, eggs, meat, bread, mushrooms, sweets, and any other food items that have been fermented.
- Perform light exercises daily like jogging, walking, meditation, etc.
- Drink plenty of water daily to flush out the toxins from the body.
- While you are undergoing treatment for leucorrhoea, avoid using deodorants, sprays, and synthetic garments which can act as irritants.
- Don’t use petroleum jelly or any other oils for lubricants.
- Keep the vaginal area dry and clean to prevent any infection.
- Avoid using deodorant pads.
- Don’t scratch inflamed areas, it can worsen the irritation.
- Do yoga, it is beneficial for proper circulation of blood and other nutrients. Some asana is parvatasana, dhanurasana, bhujangasana, bhadrasana, etc.
Leucorrhoea Treatment in Ayurveda:
Ayurvedic treatment of Shweta pradra is mostly based on the Etiopathogenesis. As kapha is the main causative factor for vaginal discharge, we used kapha shamak herbs which helps in the restoration of the digestion fire and eliminates excess toxins from the body.
The doctor’s team of ‘Deep Ayurveda’ has treated many cases of leucorrhoea naturally from many years and forms an Ayurvedic treatment package named as ‘Leucorrhoea Treatment in Ayurveda’. It consists of a total of five products that are made up of 100% extract form of pure and natural herbs. The composition of products is made in such a way that this treatment can be used by any age of a woman. The medicines are pure, genuine, and made according to the Ayurvedic concepts. The package consists of Livclear herbal capsule, Naribalya herbal capsule, Ashokarishta, Kanchnar guggul, and Chandraprabha vati.
Brief Description of the Products is Mentioned below (Leucorrhoea Treatment in Ayurveda):
- Livclear Herbal Capsule: Ayurveda believes that all the diseases occur due to disturbance in the digestive fire, which forms toxins in the body, and causes various diseases. Livclear capsule relieves all the digestive related issues and eliminates the toxins from the body. It is made up of makoy, katuki, bhringraj, giloy, kaasni, etc., that detoxifies the liver and maintains the functioning of the liver and abdominal organs.
- Naribalya Herbal Capsule: This capsule is made especially for maintaining women’s health. It is made up of 100% pure natural herbs like, shatavari, lodhra, kanchnaar, punarnava, etc., that are very beneficial to treat leucorrhoea, and other gynecological disorders by detoxifies the blood, skin, and balances the aggravated doshas.
- Ashokarishta: It is a very popular Ayurvedic classical herbal remedy effective in all types of diseases related to the female reproductive system. The herbal syrup is composed of daru haridra, haritaki, chandan, vasa, etc. These ingredients act as an anti-inflammatory, digestive stimulant, muscle relaxant, antioxidant, and balances the hormones.
- Kanchnar Guggul: Kanchnar guggul is the most effective medicine in balance the kapha dosha, and is widely used to treat PCOS, menorrhagia, dysmenorrhoea, leucorrhoea, etc. It is made up of varuna, haritaki, bibhitaki, amalaki, etc. The tablet corrects the hormonal imbalance and overcomes the symptoms of leucorrhoea.
- Chandraprabha Vati: This medicine treats all the urinary tract disorders by eliminating harmful toxins from the body and purifies the blood. The tablet is made up of guggul, mustak, vacha, chavya, devdaru, guduchi, etc., that help in reducing pain, swelling, itchiness, and other associated symptoms of leucorrhoea.
Nowadays, without knowing the cause of disease, a woman can use various types of artificial products to control the symptoms, taking different antibiotics, applying a number of vaginal wash, jellies, and result into severe infections, rashes, itchiness in the vaginal area, pain during sexual intercourse, etc.
If Ayurveda has roots cause treatment for leucorrhoea than what is the need for steroids, and chemical-based drugs? Ayurvedic herbs also show their effects quickly and show a positive result without any side effects and complications.
Follow and adapt Ayurveda to get rid of acute to severe diseases and live a healthy and disease-free life.
For more detail on Leucorrhoea Treatment in Ayurveda, please visit our nearest clinic or if you want to consult with our Chief Ayurveda Consultant & Founder – Dr.Baldeep Kour then write with detail history at email@example.com