Ajagandha (Cleome gynandra) is a medicinal plant that extensively used in Ayurvedic Treatment and is grows as a weed throughout the warmer part of India. It consists of the seeds of Cleome gynandra Linn. Syn. Gynandropsis gynandra (Linn.) Briquet (Fam.Capparidaceae). Ayurvedic Acharyas describes that Ajagandha is effectively working in the management of bloating, non-healing wounds, parasitic worms, etc.
Ajagandha (Cleome gynandra) Synonyms:
- Sanskrit: Putigandha, Ugragandha
- Assamese: Bhutmulla
- Bengali: Hurhuria, Shulte
- English: Dog Mustard
- Gujrati: Talvani, Dhelitalavan
- Hindi: Hulhul, Hurhur, Kavalia
- Kannada: Naram bele Soppu, Nayeetulasi
- Kashmiri: Gandi Buti
- Malayalam: Atunari vela
- Marathi: Tilvan, Bhatvan, Mabli, Tilavana, Tilvant
- Oriya: Anasorisia, Anasorisa
- Punjabi: Bugra
- Tamil: Nal valai, Nal velai
- Telugu: Vaminta, Vayinta
Ajagandha (Cleome gynandra) Description :
a) Macroscopic : Ajagandha (Cleome gynandra) Seeds are tiny in size, having 1-2 mm in diameter, kidney-shaped, surface rough, dark brown, or black.
b) Microscopic : It is dark brown and oily. Under a microscope, it shows several fragments of epidermis that consist of thin-walled, polygonal cells that resemble stone cells. The leaf stalk is about 20-50 mm long, having glandular hairs.
Identity, Purity and Strength of Ajagandha (Cleome gynandra)
- Foreign matter Not more than 2 percent, Appendix 2.2.2.
- Total Ash Not more than 7 percent, Appendix 2.2.3.
- Acid-insoluble ash Not more than 0.4 percent, Appendix 2.2.4.
- Alcohol-soluble extractive Not less than 16 percent, Appendix 2.2.6.
- Water-soluble extractive Not less than 7 percent, Appendix 2.2.7.
Chemical Constituents of Ajagandha (Cleome gynandra) seeds:
The main constituents of Ajagandha ( Cleome gynandra) seeds are: Fixed oil, essential oil, and oleoresin
Ayurvedic Properties and Action of Ajagandha Ajagandha (Cleome gynandra):
- Rasa: Katu
- Guna: Laghu, Ruksha
- Virya: Shita
- Vipaka: Katu
- Karma: Shulagna, Dipana, Hridya, Pittala, Vatahara
Ayurvedic Formulation made by Ajagandgha (Cleome gynandra):
Therapeutic Uses of Ajagandgha (Cleome gynandra):
Gulma, Asthila, Karanroga, Krimiroga, Kandu
Dose of Ajagandgha (Cleome gynandra):
A person can consume 1-3 gm of the drug in powder form.
Ayurvedic Pharmacopeia of India