Coconut Water- Health Benefits:
Coconut is also known as Narikela in Ayurveda – Cocus nucifera is described in Ayurveda for its multiple therapeutic benefits in conditions like burning micturition, hyperacidity, diarrhea, excessive thirst, retention of urine, gynecological disorders, etc. The coconut tree can grow up to 30 m high with large leaves that are arranged at the end of the stem.
These trees mainly grow in sandy soil with regular rainfall and abundant sunlight. Coconut palms are mainly found in coastal and tropical areas nearly worldwide and probably originated somewhere in Indo-Malaya. The mature fruits are ovoid or ellipsoid in shape, 300-450 mm in length and 150-200 mm in diameter, have a thick fibrous husk. A hard shell encloses the insignificant embryo with its abundant endosperm that is composed of both liquid and meat.
In Brihatrayi texts, narikela is described several times under Phala Varga. The pulp of coconut is nourishing and coolant in nature, sweet, and improves body strength. The coconut tender is sweetish in nature, cold in potency, and heavy for digestion. It acts as a digestive stimulant and has rich in diuretic properties.
- Sanskrit : Samudra Narikela
- Bengali : Narikel, Jora Narikel
- English : Double coconut
- Gujrati : Dorai Nareal
- Hindi : Dari yai Nariyal
- Kannada : Joditengu
- Malayalam : Aklari
- Marathi : Dariyacha Naral
- Oriya : Samudra Narikela
- Punjabi : Dariyai Nariyal
- Tamil : Thunga, Kadal Thengai
- Telugu : Samudra Tenkaya Kohari
- Urdu : Narjeel Daryaee
Scientific Classification of Coconut:
The scientific classification of Coconut is given-below:
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Phylum: Angiospermae
- Class: Monocot
- Family: Arecaceae
- Genus: Cocos
- Species: Nucifera
Chemical Composition of Coconut:
Coconut milk is rich in vitamin A, vitamin B, proteins, chlorides, sucrose. The kernel of the fruit contains fat, glucose, and nitrogenous substances. The tender coconut water is rich in chlorides, glucose, protein, phosphate, and a small quantity of saline content. The coconut oil is rich in stearic acid, palmitic, and myristic lauric.
Ayurvedic Medicinal Properties and Action of Coconut:
- Rasa: Madhura (sweet taste)
- Guna: Snigdha and Guru (unctuous, and heavy)
- Virya: Sheeta (cold potency)
- Vipaka: Madhura (undergoes sweet taste conversion after digestion)
- Karma: Vatapitta hara (helps in balancing vata and pitta dosha)
- Bruhmana: nourishing
- Balya: improves immunity and strength
Ayurvedic Qualities of Coconut Pulp:
- Tarpana: soothing, nourishing
- Vrushya: improves vigor, acts as an aphrodisiac
- Balakrut: improves immunity and strength
- Mamsakrut: improves muscle strength
- Hima: Coolant
- Brumhana: nutritious
- Hrudya: acts as a cardiac tonic
- Bastishodhana: helps in cleaning urinary bladder
The Coconut pulp is indicated in:
- Kshata: bleeding, injury
- Vatarakta: Gout
- Daha: Burning sensation
- Kshata: depletion of body tissues
- Raktapitta: Bleeding disorders such as heavy periods, nasal bleeding, etc.
Ayurvedic Qualities of Coconut Water (Narikelodaka):
- Madhura: Sweet
- Shukrala: Improves semen quantity and quality
- Deepana: Improves digestive strength
- Hima: Coolant
- Laghu: Easy and light to digest
The Coconut Water is indicated in:
- Pittahara: Effectively works in pitta imbalance disorders such as burning sensation, gastritis, heartburn, etc.
- Daha: burning sensation in eyes, hyperacidity.
- Trushna: excessive thirst
Ayurvedic Properties of Coconut Oil:
- Keshya: helps in promoting hair growth, improves hair strength
- Madhura: Sweet, after digestion the conversion is sweet
- Tikta: bitter
- Balavardhana: improves strength
- Effect on Doshas: Balances Vat and Pitta dosha
The Coconut Oil is indicated in:
- Kotha: Ringworm
- Raktapitta: Bleeding disorders
- Kandu: Pruritis, itching
Ayurvedic Properties of Coconut Milk:
- Balya: improves immunity and strength
- Guru: heavy to digest
- Vrushya: Acts as an aphrodisiac
- Ruchya: helps in increasing appetite, improves taste
- Kasahara: effectively works in chronic cough and cold
Therapeutic Usage of Coconut Parts:
- Due to being rich in various medicinal properties, the drug narikela is used from ancient times in different health issues. The coconut contains a high abundance of carminative, diuretic, aphrodisiac properties and is widely used in diarrhea, heart diseases, emaciation, urinogenital diseases, spermatorrhea, and burning sensation in the body.
- The coconut oil is obtained from its endosperm (fruit) and is effective works in hair-related disorders.
- The coconut fruit has a sweet taste and is beneficial in negating pitta dosha and giddiness.
Dosage and Parts Used:
Parts Used: Coconut flower, oil, root, fruit shell, and fruit kernel.
- Coconut water: 100 ml
- Coconut Oil: 10-15 ml
- Kshara: 1-2 g
- Coconut Fruit: 20-25 g
- Fruit Kernel: 10-20 g
Ayurvedic Formulations made by Coconut:
The Ayurvedic formulations of coconut are Panchavalkadi tailam, Narikel lavan, Narikel Kanda, Sindhuradi lepa, Tenginpushpadi tailam.
Health Benefits of Coconut Water:
The health benefits of Coconut are mentioned-below:
- Coconut is a very versatile and indispensable food item for most people and is a complete food rich in minerals, vitamins, and calories. 100-150 ml of coconut water may provide almost all the daily-required essential nutrition and energy of an average-sized individual.
- It contains a high abundance of bio-active enzymes that aid digestion and boost fat metabolism. Drinking coconut water helps in flushing out the toxins from the body thus may help in losing weight.
- Fresh Coconut water is rich in potassium, thus it improves cardiovascular health; reduces the risk of heart attacks, lowers blood pressure, lowers cholesterol, prevents blood clots, and prevents a person from various cardiac diseases.
- Coconut water is rich in electrolytes that can work wonders in dehydration. This amazing remedy contains a high amount of sodium, potassium, and magnesium that making it a great option to help hydrate.
- Coconut water contains a significant amount of calcium that is very necessary for healthy bones. Regular use of coconut can prevent osteoporosis and other joint-related disorders to a great extent. Rich in minerals and vitamins, coconut water can help in making bones healthier and stronger.
- The chemical composition of coconut oil successfully reduced dry eyes and may prevent cataracts, glaucoma, and perhaps other eye problems. The consumption of coconut water is the best way to ensure good eyesight as it provides strength to eye muscles and better night vision.
- Due to a high abundance of vitamins like vitamin B2, vitamin B3, and Vitamin C, coconut water effectively reduces wrinkles and fine lines. Also, it improves blood circulation which results in glowing skin.
- Coconut oil is rich in Vitamin E which is an essential nutrient for hairs. Its properties can help prevent a dry, flaky scalp and dandruff, as well as hair breakage and split ends. Regular use of coconut oil makes the hair longer, stronger, and shinier.
- Apart from these, coconut water is highly recommended for urinary tract infections. Due to being rich in its natural diuretic properties, it flushes out the harmful bacteria from the urinary tract and helps in managing associated symptoms of urinary tract infection.
- The presence of lauric acid helps in balancing hormones and is suggested during pregnancy to gain essential nutrients and keep the body cells hydrated.
For regular health updates, please follow our Social Pages