Organic Ashwagandha Powder (Withania somnifera)
Ashwagandha or Withania somnifera is the most popular herb in Ayurveda due to its amazing medicinal properties and it belongs to the family Solanaceae. Organic ashwagandha powder is useful for different diseases and mostly as a nervine tonic (has a soothing effect on nerves). The herb is well-known for its Rasayana (tonic) properties, as it stimulates a youthful physical and mental state of health as well as happiness.
Scientific Classification of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera):
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Subkingdom: Tracheobionta
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Order: Solanales
- Family: Solanaceae
- Class: Magnoliopsida
- Subclass: Asteridae
- Genus: Withania
- Species: somnifera
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) Synonyms:
- Sanskrit: Hayagandhj, Vajini
- Gujrati: Asgandha
- Hindi: Asgandh
- Marathi: Asagandha, Askagandha
- Punjabi: Asgandh
- Telugu: Pennerugadda
- Urdu: Asgand
Chemical Constituents of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera):
The main constituents of the Ashwagandha herb are Alkaloids and withanolides. Its roots contain oils, amino acids, and alkaloids, and its fruits and leaves are rich in tannins and flavonoids, which help eliminate free radical damage.
Ayurvedic Properties and Action of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera):
- Rasa: Tikta, Kshaya
- Guna: Laghu
- Virya: Ushna
- Vipaka: Madhura
- Karma: Rasayana, Vatakapha hara, Balaya, Vajikaran, Ati Shukrala.
Therapeutic Uses of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera):
- Ashwagandha is rich in anxiolytic (anxiety-relieving) properties and thus effectively works in the health conditions like anxiety, depression, etc.
- Organic ashwagandha powder has potential anti-arthritic properties and helps in relieving pain by soothing the nervous system.
- Ashwagandha herb is a popular Ayurvedic Rasayana and belongs to medhyarasayanas, thus effectively enhancing memory and intelligence.
- The herb has hypoglycemic properties and helps to overcome the symptoms of diabetes.
Dose of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera):
3-6 gm of the Organic Ashwagandha Powder.
Ayurvedic Pharmacopeia of India.
For more health updates, please follow our Social Pages