Beautiful skin is the most desired among humans specifically women. To look beautiful they use cosmetics, to lighten the skin color, hide marks, blemishes, etc. Not only females, today’s metrosexual men are also very concerned about their skin. Skin is a very important organ in our body. It performs many functions. Ayurveda advocates various palliative and purificatory therapies for skin disease treatment.
Functions of the Skin:
- It excretes waste products through sweating.
- It is like a covering on our body protecting our internal organs.
- Helps in thermoregulation and vitamin D manufacturing.
As we see how important skin is to us, so what if we have any kind of skin disease. It will be quite mentally stressing and become a social stigma which can lead to psychological problems also, as skin diseases can lead to depression and anxiety. It can be vice-versa also. In Ayurveda, skin and mind are connected, thinking too much, too much of grief, directly or indirectly causes skin diseases.
Skin diseases are more prevalent these days, there are many reasons behind this. Let us go through them:
Causes of Skin Disease:
- Infections, which can be bacterial or viral.
- Hormonal changes
- Any kind of allergy.
- Auto immune diseases.
- Secondary to any other illness associated to other organs.
- Use of chemical based skin products.
In Ayurveda, skin diseases have been discussed under “Kushtha Roga”.
Various Causes of Skin Disease as per Ayurveda:
- Eating food that have opposite qualities, like eating fish with milk, curd with fruits, etc.
- Suppression of natural urges.
- Excessive intake of salt, spicy and stale food.
- Not following proper life style which can aggravate the three humours – Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Waking late in the night can aggravate Vata, eating spicy food can aggravate Pitta and day sleep and eating fat rich diet can aggravate Kapha, causing imbalance of these Doshas leading to skin diseases.
Common Skin Diseases:
- Acne Vulgaris
- Fungal Infections
Acne occurs in teenagers and young adults due to the over production of sebum from sebaceous glands. Even the obstruction and inflammation of sebaceous glands can also lead to acne vulgaris.
Acne can also occur even after teenage, there can be other reasons too like
- Dust and Pollution
- Chemical Products
- Small or large bumps on the face.
- Painful pustules, called pus filled pimples.
It is called “YauvanPidika” in Ayurveda as it occurs at the age of puberty.
It is a skin condition which occurs due to “Pitta” aggravation. People who do not eat enough fiber and have constipation problem, also can develop acne.
It is a common condition of the skin affecting 1-2% of the population characterized by red, scaly plaques which are more common at elbows, knees and the skull but can widely spread to the whole body.
In Ayurveda it is classified under “Kshudra Kushthas”. It has predominance of Vata and Pitta dosha.
It is a chronic inflammatory disorder which can reoccur after treatment also and is thought to be due to the problem in the immune system caused by infections, stress and cold. But if managed thoroughly with herbs can avert the reoccurrence.
It is a common allergic skin disease associated with infection of bacteria, virus and fungus.
- Itchy red and scaly rash with dry skin.
- Rash can occur on the wrists, elbows, ankles, face and neck.
- Sometimes can be blistering and oozing
It is called “Sheeta Pitta” in Ayurveda. Sometimes pruritis is very severe that it becomes agonizing for the patient.
It occurs due to dominance of Kapha and Vata over Pitta dosha. It is a skin rash in response to some allergic reaction in the body. Rash is itchy, red and bumpy.
It is a condition in which patches of the skin becomes white or you may say that the skin looses its pigment. It is also called leukoderma. It can affect any age group and gender.
The skin patches which looses colour becomes photosensitive. It occurs due to the destruction of the melanocyte cells which make melanin pigment and in Ayurveda it is known as “Shwitra”.
It is the infection of the skin by the fungus. The fungus can be found in moist and warm environment.
Common examples of fungal infections are athlete’s foot (tenia pedis), jock itch, ring worm, etc.
They can affect hair and nails too along with the skin. They are called “Dadru” in Ayurveda which are caused by Pitta and Kapha.
It is a chronic skin disease. That is inflammatory in nature. It causes redness and bumps on the face. Signs include visible broken blood vessels and swollen skin associated with burning sensation.
It is more common in fair skinned people and mostly found in women. It mostly develops between the ages of 30 and 50.
Ayurvedic Management of Skin Diseases:
Ayurveda advocates various palliative and purificatory therapies for the management of skin disease.
General line of management:
- Snehapaan – In this patient is advised to take medicated ghee.
- Vaman karma – Therapeutic emesis.
- Virechan karma – Purgation.
After these purification therapies are advised.
Main Herbs used in Skin Disease Treatment:
main herbs used in skin disease treatment are the following:
Neem (Azadirachta indica):
It has been used since ages for many kind of skin diseases.
- Anti inflammatory
- Anti microbial
- Anti oxidative
- Anti cancerous properties
- Blood purifier
It is used in acne vulgaris, Urticaria, Fungal infections and play important role in malignancies.
Haridra (Curcuma longa):
It is very common in Indian kitchens and called haldi.
- Anti carcinogenic properties
- It is widely used to improve skin colour and in pigmentation.
- Used in urticaria
- Can be used in all kind of skin diseases.
Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia):
- Blood purifier
- Calms pittadosha
- Balances kapha dosha
- It is used in face packs
- Used in acne
Khadir (Acacia catechu):
- Helps in detoxifying the body
- Skin ulcers
Kutki (Picrorhiza kurroa):
Purgative (pitta virechan)
It is Kusthghana(used in various skin diseases)
Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa):
- Pacify Kapha and pitta dosha
Its paste is used in leprosy.
For more detail on Skin Disease Treatment, please visit our nearest clinic or if you want to consult with our Chief Ayurveda Consultant & Founder – Dr.Baldeep Kour then write with detail history at firstname.lastname@example.org or Whatsapp at +91-9216582021