Ayurvedic Treatment of Leucoderma:
Leucoderma or vitiligo is a disease of the skin which is recognized by loss of skin color in patches. And it can affect the skin on any part of the body including hair and the inside of the mouth. Normally, skin color is determined by melanin. Vitiligo occurs when cells that produce melanin not doing their function properly. In other words, leucoderma is regarded as the de-pigmentation of the skin which is marked by complete or localization destruction of melanocytes in the body. However, with time, the skin patches might get enlarged in some persons. Such skin color changes are more noticeable in people with darker skin complexions.
Causes of Leucoderma:
The exact reason for leucoderma is not known but some reasons can be attributed as a combination of one or more factors causing the condition.
- Genetics: According to the studies and research, 25-30% of the cases are attributed to hereditary reasons.
- Autoimmune Disorder: Autoimmune is a condition in which the immune system attacks healthy cells of the body thereby destroying the basic mechanism of the body and in the case of leucoderma, if there is a destruction of the melanocytes, it will lead to depigmentation on the skin leading to leucoderma.
- Infections: It was noticed that bacterial or viral infections like syphilis, leprosy and other infectious diseases can cause vitiligo.
- Occupation: If a person is having continuous exposure to some chemicals, or sun causing sunburns, it can also lead to Leucoderma.
- Neurogenic factors: A substance that is toxic to melanocytes may be released at nerve endings in the skin and results in causing Leucoderma.
Types of Leucoderma:
- Segmental: Segmental leucoderma is restricted to one side of the body or one area, such as the face or hands.
- Focal: It is a rare type in which the macules are in a small area and don’t spread in a certain pattern for a very long time.
- Generalized: Generalized leucoderma is the most common type, in this, the macules appear in various places on the body.
- Mucosal: In this, the mucus membranes of the mouth and/or genitals are affected.
- Universal: Universal leucoderma is another rare type of vitiligo, in this more than 80% of the skin lacks pigment.
Symptoms of Leucoderma:
The most common symptoms of Leucoderma are:
- Premature graying or whitening of the hair on beard, eyelashes, eyebrows, or scalp
- Loss of color in the tissues line the inside of the nose and mouth (mucus membrane)
- Patchy loss of skin color, which usually appears on the face, hands, and genitals.
Ayurvedic concept of Leucoderma:
In Ayurvedic terms, Vitiligo or leucoderma is termed as ‘Switra’ or ‘Shwetakustha’ and it is classified into Kustha roga (skin diseases). Shweta kustha means – ‘Shweta’ – white, ‘Kushth’a – skin disease. It is mainly caused by the imbalance of all the three doshas (vata, pitta, and kapha dosha) vitiating Rakta, Mamsa, and Medhas dhatus. In Ayurveda, Pitta symbolizes the digestive fire. ‘Pitta’ is of five types, one of them is ‘Bhrajak pitta’ which is responsible for giving coloration to the skin.
Pathophysiology of Leucoderma in Ayurveda:
In the case of Leucoderma or vitiligo, ‘Bhrajak pitta’ gets aggravated or imbalanced leads to the formation of ‘Ama (toxin)’ which consequently impairs deeper body tissues such as Rasa (nutrient plasma), Rakta (blood), Mamsa (muscles), and Lasika (lymph) and it ultimately causes depigmentation of the skin. By adopting natural and Ayurvedic treatment of leucoderma, there are very rare chances of other complications and a person’s health condition is improving naturally.
Causes of Leucoderma or Vitiligo according to Ayurveda:
- Suppression of the natural urges
- Intake of cold water immediately after exposure to sun heat
- Intake of uncooked food, high amount of food, and intake of food before the previous meal are digested
- Improper administration of Panchakarma treatments
- Excess intake of foods of freshly harvested grains, fish, curd, and salty foods
- Excessive consumption of mulaka (radish), tila (sesame seeds), jaggery, and masha (black gram)
- Sleep during the daytime
- Intake of wrong food combinations such as fish and milk
Symptoms of Leucoderma or Vitiligo according to Ayurveda:
The most common signs and symptoms are:
- Ati sveda: Excessive sweating
- Sparsajnatava: lack of touch sensation in the affected area
- Toda, Kandu, Klama, and Shrama: pricking pain, itching, physical exhaustion, and mental fatigue
- Kotha: Discoloration and elevation of the patches
- Daha: Feeling of burning sensation in the affected parts
- Shoolam: Excessive pain in the affected parts
- Vrana adhikam: Continuous persistence of ulcers
Types of Leucoderma or vitiligo according to Ayurveda:
Different types of Shwetakustha are mentioned below:
- Daruna: When the doshas vitiated the rakta dhatu (blood), the patches on the body will be red
- Aruna: When the aggravated doshas vitiated the mamsa dhatu (muscle tissue), the patches on the body will be in copper color
- Kilasa: When medho dhatu (fat tissue) is vitiated by doshas, the patches will be in white.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Leucoderma from Deep Ayurveda:
Vitiligo or Leucoderma treatment in Deep Ayurveda consists of pacifying imbalanced body energies, purifying the blood, and recommended herbs that restore skin color. According to Ayurveda, Poor digestion is the root of this disease, as it causes the build-up of toxins in the cells and tissues. Thus, restoring digestion power is an essential part of treatment as per Ayurvedic Acharyas.
Leucoderma disease is deep-rooted and needs specific treatment that includes a healthy and proper diet, specialized herbal combinations that help to pacify pitta dosha, and cleanse Ama or toxins from the body.
In Ayurveda, Panchakarma therapies play an important role in the Ayurvedic treatment of Leucoderma. ‘Shodhana chikitsa’ is defined as strong detoxification of the body and it mainly includes ‘Vaman’ (Emesis), Virechana (Purgation therapy), and Rakta Mokshana (Bloodletting therapy). And along with Panchakarma and medications, strict diet restrictions, lifestyle modifications, yoga are advocated. At Deep Ayurveda, we are providing the best Ayurvedic treatment of Leucoderma having researched medicines with a high treatment success rate. A brief description of each medicine is given below:
Livclear Capsule: As per the Ayurvedic Acharyas, digestive fire is the main root cause of developing a disease, thus livclear is very effective in restoring the normal functioning of the digestive fire, helps in the detoxification of the body, purifies the blood, reverses any damage caused to the liver due to its anti-oxidants, anti-viral, and anti-inflammatory properties. The ingredients present in the livclear prevent oxidative stress in the epidermal skin cells that are responsible for producing melanin.
Neem Capsule: Neem herb is a powerful blood cleanser and has significant antimicrobial properties to neutralize the bad bugs and parasites in the gut. Its active components remove the toxins from the body and support the functioning of the liver organ. Due to nimbidin and other active compounds, neem herb got potent and anti-inflammatory activities, it reduces skin inflammation, burning sensation, and itching due to sunlight exposure on the vitiligo affected areas.
Triyog Capsule: Triyog capsule is a combination of Harad, Baheda, and Amla that helps in the detoxification of the body and it removes the free radicals that cause damage to the melanocytes. In studies, it was found that trifla helps rebuild skin protein, retain moisture in the skin, and can heal certain skin issues.
Twakdetox Capsule: Twakdetox is a composition of such amazing herbs as manjistha, neem, haridra, giloy, bakuchi that possess Kusthaghana and Rasayana properties that helps control vitiligo. The capsule prevents the destruction of pigment-forming cells due to its immunomodulatory properties. The capsule works as Raktashodhaka (blood purifier) and possesses several pharmacological activities including antioxidant, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and immunomodulatory properties.
Herbal Powder Formulation: Herbal powder is a mixture of Ayurvedic herbs that improve the functioning of the liver organ, helps in the detoxification of the body, and thus reduce the white patches of the body, and is very useful in the Ayurvedic treatment of Leucoderma. The formulation balances the excess of Pitta dosha, thereby healing the disease internally.
For more detail on ‘Ayurvedic Treatment of Leucoderma’, please visit our nearest clinic or if you want to consult with our Chief Ayurveda Consultant & Founder – Dr. Baldeep Kour then write with detailed history at email@example.com
For regular health updates, please follow our Social Pages