Ayurvedic treatment of Rheumatoid arthritis
Table of Contents
Rheumatoid arthritis is defined as an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints. The disease usually begins gradually with morning stiffness, fatigue, loss of appetite, general weakness, etc. About 1-2% of the world’s population is afflicted by rheumatoid arthritis and it was noticed that women are affected three times more than the man. Rheumatoid arthritis is most likely to strike people 40-50 years of age.
RA can lead to various health issues like joint deformity, destruction, and loss of function. In addition to the joints, other manifestations of the disease can be seen including inflammation of the eyes, subcutaneous nodules, lowering of WBC, and disease of disorders of the respiratory system.
Causes and Risk Factors of Rheumatoid Arthritis:
The exact cause of Rheumatoid arthritis is not known but the following are some risk factors that play a major role in developing rheumatoid arthritis in an individual:
- Age: RA can affect any age, but the most common is between 40 and 60.
- Family history: If someone in the family has a history of rheumatoid arthritis, then there are more chances of developing rheumatoid arthritis.
- Gender: In studies, it was found that Rheumatoid arthritis is more common in women than males.
- Overweight: Regular intake of Excess fat releases high levels of cytokines – proteins that can cause inflammation throughout the body and lead to occurring the symptoms of Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Smoking: In studies, some evidence suggests that people who smoke have an increased risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis.
Symptoms of Rheumatoid arthritis:
Rheumatoid arthritis usually inflames in a symmetrical pattern (both sides of the body) in multiple joints. Early symptoms in rheumatoid arthritis may arise from general fatigue, weakness, joint pain, and the most common area are affected like wrists, knees, feet, ankles, and fingers.
Symptoms in the Joint may include:
- If the joints are not movable for a longer period, there is stiffness, warmness, tenderness and especially morning stiffness is there which lasts more than 1 hour.
- Over time, some of the joints lose their range of motion and become deformed.
- The pain of the joint is often felt on the same joint on both sides of the body.
The Other most common symptoms include:
- A patient feels mild pain in the chest while taking a deep breath (pleurisy)
- Dry mouth and eyes
- Burning, numbness, and tingling sensation in the hands and feet
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Decrease in range of motion
Rheumatoid Arthritis according to Ayurveda:
According to Ayurveda, Rheumatoid arthritis is termed as “Ama vata“and can be described as:
” Sa Kashtaha Sarvarogaanaam yadaa prakupito Bhavet |
Hastha paada shiro gulpha trika jaanu uru sandhishu ||
Karoti sarujam shopham yatra doshaha prapadyate |
Sa desho rujate atyatham vyaviddha iva vrishchkaihi || “
It indicates that if the disease ‘’Ama Vata’’ gets aggravated, it becomes the most difficult disease compared to other diseases. The joints of feet, ankles, hands, low back, knee, and the hip become painful and inflamed and the pain resembles the pain of a scorpion’s sting.
Causes of Rheumatoid arthritis according to Ayurveda:
According to Ayurveda, the main causes of occurrence of ama vata are:
- Viruddha cheshta: unhealthy lifestyle activities
- Viruddha ahara: incompatible foods
- Nischala: sedentary lifestyle activities
- Snigdh vyayam: after consuming oily and high caloric food and immediately getting indulged in exercises
- Mandagni: Low metabolism and sluggish digestion for a longer period
Pathogenesis of Rheumatoid arthritis according to Ayurveda:
Ayurvedic Acharyas has different opinions regarding the development of the disease. Ayurvedic acharyas believe that the reasons or trigger factors that cause disturbance in metabolic fire and loss of potency of digestive fire inside the body to digest and assimilate the available foods are responsible for the occurrence of disease. Hence ama and aggravated vata result in occurring the amavata.
The excess consumption of above said causative factors causes ama and vitiated vata dosha to mix up with each other. Then the toxins or ama are carried by imbalanced air and reach Kapha predominant sites like joints. The ama being sticky thus is blocks micro-channels (srotas) and simultaneously spreads all over the body. When excess ama accumulated in the joints, it produces the disease Amavata. Due to the accumulation of toxins, channels like pores in the cells, arteries, and intercellular spaces which allow nutrients to flow through and nourish the body tissues get partially blocked and this leads to decreased supply of nutrients to body cells and tissues and hence leads to various symptoms.
Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis according to Ayurveda:
The most common symptoms of Amavata are:
- Vriscik damsha vata vedana (severe joint pain in the morning)
- Sanchari Vedana (shifting pain)
- Stambha (Joints stiff)
- Gauravta (heaviness in the body)
- Jwara (high temperature)
- Alasya (weakness and lethargy)
- Karmahani (loss of movements)
- Sandhi Vikruti (Deformity in joints)
- Kshudhamandya (loss of appetite)
Basic principles of Ayurvedic treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis (Amavata):
In the Ayurvedic texts, the basic principles in managing the symptoms of Amavata are given below:
- Langhana: Fasting
- Katu, Tikta deepana: Medicines having pungent and bitter tastes and helps in improving digestion
- Vasti: Mediacated Enemas
- Virechana: Purgation
External treatment: It was observed that in amavata, external therapies play a major role in managing the symptoms and provide multiple health benefits to an individual. Some of the therapies are mentioned below:
- Swedana: Steaming
- Upanaha: Poultices
- Dhara: The steam pouring of medicated liquids
- Pinda Sweda: Bolus foementation especially patra panda sweda, valuka sweda, and churna panda sweda
- Abhyanga: A massage therapy
Ayurvedic treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis (Amavata) from Deep Ayurveda:
Ayurveda is the most ancient and holistic system of medicine practiced in India. In Ayurvedic texts like Charaka, Sushruta, and Vagbhata Samhitas there is well explained of joint disorders like amavata, sandhivata, vatarakta, etc.
In Ayurveda, various classical formulations are mentioned that helps in the management of amavata and prevent a person from various complications. The most common formulations used in amavata are pippalyadi kwath, shunthi-guduchi kwatha, bhallatakadi churna, dashmool kashyam, phalatrikadi churna, hingwadi churna, eranda beeja, panchkola churna, nagar churna, etc. These formulations are amazingly worked as the Ayurvedic treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (amavata).
Deep Ayurveda is provided 100% extract-based and vegetarian shell capsule formulated by the experienced team of Ayurvedic Doctors. The medicines are developed after lengthy clinical trials and we ensure that all the medicines are free of steroids, adulteration, chemicals, and preservatives. The medicines recommended in the Ayurvedic treatment of Rheumatoid arthritis are very effective and works at the root cause. Along with the medicines, diet, and lifestyle practices including taking herbs and supplements regularly and practicing yoga plays an important role in managing the condition and preventing a person from upcoming complications.
A detailed description of Ayurvedic medicines for rheumatoid arthritis is given below:
Arthro Capsule: Arthro capsule is a composition of 100% extract-based natural Ayurvedic herbs that is rich in analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant properties and is one of the effective formulations used for Ayurvedic treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis. The capsule is formed from hadjod, shunthi, rasna, nirgundi, and other Ayurvedic herbs that are mentioned in the Ayurvedic classical texts in managing the symptoms of Amavata.
Maharasnadi Kwath: Maharasnadi kawth is one of the oldest medicine and the best choice for the Ayurvedic treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. It soothes the inflammation in joints, relaxes the stiffness and tiredness in muscles, and rejuvenates the surrounding tissues. The formulation involves the key ingredients that are known to help in the treatment of vata disorders like hemiplegia, neck pain, low back pain, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, knee pain, etc.
Livclear Capsule: Livclear capsule is the best formulation in the detoxification of the body, improves the digestive fire, improves the metabolism, and hence helps in proper nourishment of each cell and tissue. The capsule is rich in antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties that amazingly work in managing the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.
Arthro Oil: Arthro oil is effectively managing arthritis as it reduces inflammation and joint pain due to its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. The oil is composed of Ayurvedic herbs that are popularly used for all kinds of joint pains. The local application of oil helps in reducing tenderness, rigidity, stiffness, inflammation, and redness.
Singnaad Guggul: Singnaad guggul has been one of the effective medicines used for Ayurvedic treatment in Rheumatoid arthritis for a very long time. It is mainly recommended in joint pains, swelling, inflammation, stiffness, tenderness associated with rheumatoid arthritis.
For more detail on ‘Ayurvedic treatment of Rheumatoid arthritis ’, please visit our nearest clinic or if you want to consult with our Chief Ayurveda Consultant & Founder – Dr. Baldeep Kour then write with detailed history at firstname.lastname@example.org
For regular health updates, please follow our Social Pages