Organic Karela Powder (Momordica charantia):
Karela is an annual climbing or trailing herb consists of fresh fruit of Momordica charantia Linn. It found throughout the country often under cultivation, up to an altitude of 1500 m. It grows well in a variety of soils and begins flowering about one month after planting. It has a relatively high nutritional value and provides multiple health benefits to an individual.
Karela (Momordica charantia) Synonyms:
- Sanskrit : Karavella, Varivalli, Kathila
- English : Bitter gourd
- Gujrati : Karela
- Hindi : Karela
- Punjabi : Karela
- Tamil : Paharkai
- Urdu : Karela
Chemical Constituents of Karela (Momordica charantia):
It contains charantin, 5-hydroxytryptamine, diosgenin, and betasitosterol. Other than this, it includes beta glycoproteins, alpha, and p- insulin.
Ayurvedic Action and Properties of Karela (Momordica charantia):
- Rasa: Katu, Tikta
- Guna: Laghu
- Virya: Ushna
- Vipaka: Katu
- Karma: Raktadoshahara, Vatakaphahara, Deepan, Hridya.
Therapeutic Uses of Karela (Momordica charantia):
- Organic karela powder helps in maintaining normal blood sugar levels in diabetic people.
- Due to being rich in fiber, it aids digestion and helps in providing relief from digestive issues.
- Karela powder can stimulate the secretion of bile from the liver and helps in fat metabolism.
- It acts as a natural blood purifier and hence can help in managing itching, acne, and other skin infections.
- Organic karela powder helps in the detoxification of the body and aids the normal functioning of the body.
Dose of Karela (Momordica charantia):
1 or 2 gm of the organic karela powder.
15-20 ml juice of fresh drug.
Ayurvedic Pharmacopeia of India.
For health updates, kindly follow our Social Pages