Organic Katuki Powder (Picrorhiza kurroa):
Katuki is a hairy herb with perennial bitter rootstock. Its rhizome has fishy scales on it. The Rootstocks are thick as the little finger and are clothed with withered leaf bases. The leaves are about 5-10 cm and its spike are long, sub-cylindric, and obtuse.
Organic katuki powder has been mentioned in several ayurvedic scriptures for various indications which include chronic fever, preventing liver infections, jaundice, relieving cough, relieving burning sensation, relieving breathing difficulties, enhancing stomach fire, helps in digestion, etc. Katuki herb has laxative, carminative, digestive, hepato-protective, anti-viral, antipyretic, antispasmodic, and anti-inflammatory properties.
Scientific Classification of Katuki (Picrorhiza kurroa):
- Scientific Name: Picrorhiza kurroa
- Kingdom: Plant
- Genus: Picrorhiza
- Species: kurroa
- Order: Lamiales
- Family: Plantaginaceae
Katuki (Picrorhiza kurroa) Synonyms:
- Sanskrit : Tikta, Kavi, Kauka, Rohini
- English : Hellebore
- Gujrati : Kadu, Katu
- Hindi : Kutki
- Punjabi : Karru, kaur
- Tamil : Katuka rohini, Katuku rohini, Kadugurohini
- Urdu : Kutki
Chemical Constituents of Katuki (Picrorhiza kurroa):
Katuki is rich in Glucoside (Picrorhizin), iridoid glucosides such as picroside I, picroside II, picroside III, picroside IV, kutkiol, kutki sterol, pikuroside, and flavonoids like apocynin and vanillic acid.
Ayurvedic Action and Properties of Katuki (Picrorhiza kurroa):
- Rasa: Tikta, Katu
- Guna: Laghu
- Virya: Ushna
- Vipaka: Katu
- Karma: Jwarahara, Hridya, Pitta nashak, Deepani,
Therapeutic Uses of Katuki (Picrorhiza kurroa):
- Organic katuki powder supports liver health
- It effectively manages skin-related disorders
- It supports healthy blood sugar levels
- The medicinal properties of katuki stimulate the gastric function and secrete juices which boost the metabolism.
- It promotes the healthy elimination of excess fat and helps in managing high cholesterol levels.
Dose of Katuki (Picrorhiza kurroa):
1-3 gm of Organic Katuki Powder
Ayurvedic Pharmacopeia of India.
For more updates, please follow our Social Pages