Ulcerative Colitis treatment in Ayurveda: Ulcerative colitis is a chronic condition that causes inflammation and ulcer formation in the lining of the intestine and rectum. Those ulcers will form mucus, and pus which will make the condition worst. Commonly, it occurs in between the ages of 15 -30 years although the disease may begin at any age.
Causes of Ulcerative colitis
The exact cause of this disease is not known yet. But some possible causes are mentioned below :
- Acute gastrointestinal infection
- Stress, depression, anxiety, or other mental condition
- Excess intake of oily, fatty, spicy, sour, salty, non-veg foods
- Intake of certain medications that cause hormonal imbalance
- Family history of Colitis
- Regular use of carbonated drinks, frozen foods
- Addiction of alcohol, smoking, etc.
Symptoms of Ulcerative colitis
Initially, the symptoms are common as occur in the beginning of other diseases, but if they are ignored, it may form to severe condition. Some common symptoms are :
- Severe abdominal pain
- Stool with mucus
- Fatigue or weakness
- Weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Severe dehydration
- Constant urge to pass feces
- Intermittent backache
- Rectal Bleeding
- Abdominal sounds
- Mouth ulcers
- Loss of body fluids and nutrients
- Skin lesions
- Growth failure in children.
Types of Ulcerative colitis :
The different types of ulcerative colitis are classified according to the location, or affected site of inflammation. They are :
Ulcerative proctitis : It this inflammation is limited to the rectum. A person has suffered from rectal bleeding, rectal inflammation, pain, urgency (sudden feeling of having to defecate), etc.
Proctosigmoiditis : It involves inflammation of the rectum and the sigmoid colon (a short segment of the colon contiguous to the rectum). Symptoms include abdominal cramps, rectal bleeding, urgency, and tenesmus, diarrhea with blood, etc.
Left-sided colitis : This type involves inflammation that starts at the rectum and extends up the left colon (sigmoid colon and descending colon). A person may experience excess weight loss, dehydration, bloody diarrhea, left-sided abdominal pain, etc.
Universal colitis : This type is called universal colitis because it affects the entire colon (right colon, left colon, transverse colon and the rectum). Symptoms may include fever, night sweating, diarrhea with mucus, weakness, loss of appetite, anemia, etc.
Fulminant colitis : It is rare but severe form of universal colitis. Patients with this type of colitis are suffered with dehydration, abdominal cramps, diarrhea with bleeding, weakness, loss of appetite, and even shock. Those people are at the risk of developing toxic megacolon (marked dilatation of the colon due to severe inflammation) and colonic rupture (perforation).
Classification according to the severity of symptoms
- Mild : When a person passes two to four times stools per day with or without blood, and no evidence of systemic toxicity, this will come under mild type.
- Moderate : When a person passes more than four or five times stools daily with mininmal systemic toxicity.
- Severe : This condition occur when a person passes more than six times stools per day and also suffered from mild fever, dehydration, increase pulse rate, etc.
- Fulminant : It is very complicated type, in which a person passes eight to nine times or more than nine times stools per day with rectal bleeding, severe abdominal cramps, anemia, weakness, etc.
According to the Ayurveda : In Ayurvedic texts, anatomical term for small intestine is termed as ‘Grahani’. Any disturbance in the functioning of abdominal organs due to aggravation of imbalanced doshas (vata, pitta, and kapha) can cause a wide variety of symptoms and lead to the formation of the diseases.
‘Pittaj Grahani’ term is used for the Ulcerative colitis. Another acharyas also termed as Raktaj atisara, Adhoga rakta pitta, etc.
Causes according to the Ayurveda : The most common causes of Pittaj Grahani are written below :
- Excess intake of Dry food (rooksha ahara)
- Improper habit of food (vishama bhojana)
- Unwholesome food (asatmya bhojana)
- Regular intake of heavy food (guru bhojana)
- Impaired digestion
- Poor nutrition
- Autoimmune causes
- Genetic factors
- Excess intake of acidic, alkaline, spicy, sour, pungent food
- Addiction of alcohol, smoking, etc.
Symptoms according to the Ayurveda : A person who has pittaj dominating prakriti has experience the worst symptoms. Other than common symptoms may include :
- Diarrhea (atisara)
- Tenesmus (pravahan)
- Rectal bleeding (guden rakta pravriti)
- Mucus secretion (guden kapha pravriti)
- Procitis (gudapaka)
- Burning sensation (Daha)
- Abdominal bloating
- Exhaustion of the nervous system
- Heaviness of the lower abdomen.
Pathogenesis according to the Ayurveda :
According to the Ayurvedic concept, all the three doshas helps to digest and metabolize the food. Samana vata, (a sub-type of vata dosha) is responsible for the peristaltic movements, separation of waste from nourishing part, and helps in absorption, and pachak pitta (sub-type of pitta dosha) works for proper secretion of the digestive juices.
Ulcerative colitis is a disease of Purisha vaha srotas which is caused by imbalance of pitta and vata dosja. When a person continues intake above – mentioned causes, initially there is a weakening of digestive fire which leads to mal absorption of nutrients and expel digested, or undigested substances due to damage to colon. Due to consumption of pitta aggravating factors, pitta dosha get imbalance and causes severe inflammation, ulceration, burning sensation, etc., and in severe stages, rakta dhatu (blood tissues) also get vitiated, which cause rectal bleeding.
Home Remedies for Ulcerative Colitis treatment in Ayurveda
Home remedies are very effective to control and manage the symptoms. It works naturally and do not cause any side effects. Some common home remedies are given below :
Rose : Rose is cool in nature and work as anti-inflammatory, anti-septic, anti-parasaitic. It will help in balance the vitiated pitta dosha and reduces the symptoms associated with ulcerative colitis.
How to use : You can chew a few rose petals on a daily basis to relieve burning sensation in the stomach.
Or, soaked a few amounts of rose petals overnight in water and drink that water in the next morning with an empty stomach.
Pomegranate: Pomegranate juice is very effective to fulfil the nutrients lost in case of ulcerative colitis. It neutralizes the acids in the stomach, reduces the inflammation, treat digested related problems, and reduces symptoms of ulcerative colitis.
How to use : You can make a fresh juice of pomegranate and drink it empty stomach.
Or, take 100-150 ml of pomegranate juice and add one tablespoon of yastimadhu powder (licorice root) in it. Drink the remedy once or twice daily for arresting loose motions.
Fenugreek seeds : Fenugreek seeds are very beneficial in maintaining the functioning of digestive system. The seed contains a high amount of mucilage which reduces hyper acidity, heart burn, acid reflux improves the appetite and soothing the gastrointestinal inflammation.
How to use : You can soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in a normal water overnight. Early in the morning, drink that water with an empty stomach. Do this procedure daily for about two-three months for a better result.
Banana : Banana fruit is loaded with various useful nutrients. In ulcerative colitis, it is a great option to reduce the symptoms because it contain pectin that help to ease the digestion related problems and reduces inflammation in the inner lining of stomach and intestine.
How to use : A person can eat the two three bananas regularly.
Buttermilk : Buttermilk prevent the stomach from various infections and aids in digestion, clear the stomach, improve appetite, reduces hyper acidity, and other symptoms of ulcerative colitis.
How to use : Drink a glass of buttermilk and add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder, a pinch of roasted cumin seed powder, and rock salt to taste. Take this remedy regularly to improve your digestive system.
Drumstick : Drumstick plays an important role in the breaking down the food and make it easier to digest smoothly. It contains riboflavin, niacine that improve function of digestive system and promote good and healthier digestion.
How to use : Boil 4-5 drumsticks in water. Peel off their skins and make into paste. Sieve through and extract the juice. Add the juice to a glass of coconut water. Add a teaspoon of honey. Mix well and drink once a day.
Coconut water : Coconut is very useful fruit as it contains many enzymes and nutrients that help settle the stomach while providing adequate nutrition lost by excessive motions. Also, it reduces burning sensation, hyper acidity, bloating, etc.
How to use : Drink the fresh coconut water regularly for overcome the symptoms of ulcerative colitis.
Diet and Lifestyle Modifications for Ulcerative Colitis treatment in Ayurveda:
A person can follow some precautions to get relief from symptoms associated with ulcerative colitis. Some common lifestyle and dietary changes are mentioned below :
- Drink plenty of water to maintain the equilibrium of essential nutrients.
- Eat small meals throughout the day which are easy to digest.
- Strictly avoid oily, fried, spicy, salty foods and carbonated drinks.
- Do exercise for about 30-45 minutes. Physical activities are very helpful to manage the symptoms, and complications associated with ulcerative colitis, including poor immunity, stress, and mental health, and weight.
- Do yogasana regularly to improve the blood circulation and maintain the proper functioning of the secretions. Bhujangasana, shavasana, ardhmatsyendra asana, pashimotanasana, etc, are some common asana which can do regularly.
- Increase the intake of moong dal, black gram, fennel, coriander, carrots, bottle gourd, ridge gourd, round gourd, green lentils, banana, coconut, papaya, pomegranate, apple, almonds, dried raisin, these all easier to digest.
- Reduce acidic foods, capsicum, reddish, cashew nuts, groundnuts, sesame seeds, green chilies, mustard oil, cauliflower, okra, mango, tea, coffee, fruit shakes, etc.
Ulcerative Colitis treatment in Ayurveda :
By the natural treatment and change in diet and lifestyle a person can reduce signs and symptoms, and aid in long-term remission. Ayurveda has many herbs that balance the doshas and help in maintaining a proper health. A person can get a proper and natural treatment of Ulcerative Colitis treatment in Ayurveda through ‘Deep Ayurveda’. Our team of ayurvedic Doctors treated a number of patients and also manage its compilations. We formulated natural treatment package for Ulcerative Colitis named as ‘Ulcerative Colitis Treatment’ that is applicable for all the ages. It contains a total of four products – Kutajghan vati, Curcumin capsule, Nervocare capsule, and Herbal powder formulation. Medicines are 100 % extract-based and free from side effects. It works naturally and help to manage all the symptoms associated with ulcerative colitis. Brief description of products are given below :
- Kutajghan Vati : The tablet is very helpful to cure stomach infections, diarrhea, stomach ulcers, etc. It increases the absorption of food and soothes hyper acidity in stomach. It reduces a mucus content in stool and calms aggravated pitta and kapha dosha specifically located in the digestive system.
- Curcumin Capsule : Curcumin is a natural phytochemical that derived from turmeric. Experimental studies show that Curcumin is very effective in preventing ulcerative colitis. It acts as anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic that reduces inflammation, pain, cramps caused by ulcerative colitis.
- Nervocare Capsule : It is a combination of herbs that work as a Rasayan. The capsule is made up of vacha, ashwagandha, jatamansi, brahmi, etc., that balance the aggravated doshas, provide strength to the internal organs, and reduce the signs and symptoms of ulcerative colitis.
- Herbal Powder Formulation: It is made up of different classical herbs that help to balance the doshas and eliminate excess toxins from the body, balance in maintaining proper secretion of hormones.
Statutory warning: Self-medication can be very dangerous. Always use ayurvedic medicine under the strict supervision of an ayurvedic doctor.